Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Does Acupuncture For Weight Loss Really Work?

I have seen many of my friends attempt to lose weight over the years, and some of the things that they will try are, well, let's just say interesting. There are so many fad diets out there, along with a slew of gimmicks, but my question has always been, does acupuncture for weight loss really work? If so, how does it work? It is interesting to investigate.

I had a very good friend tell me he was going to try acupuncture for weight loss because he heard that it worked really well at suppressing your appetite. He said that the biggest problem he had was that he constantly felt hungry. He would exercise on a regular basis and he actually ate fairly nutritiously, but he ate too much and was consuming too many calories to sustain any type of significant weight loss.
He said he went through a number of sessions of acupuncture for weight loss and said he really did not feel any difference. He started to wonder if the person administering the acupuncture was doing so correctly or if he had just been taken for a lot of money. He continued to try it for a while, but when it became clear that it was not going to work for him, he took a different route.

On the other hand, I had an aunt who tried acupuncture for weight loss and said that it worked out quite well for her. She said that she felt like her appetite diminished quite a bit and she was more focused on her weight loss goals. She actually ended up dropping 40 pounds and credited it to the acupuncture. I was not convinced, because she was also dieting and exercising the whole time!

I began to wonder how acupuncture for weight loss actually worked. I also wondered if it worked, or if it was just a matter of belief. In other words, my aunt believed that it would work for her, while my friend was not sure. I do believe that such things can be psychosomatic, but I know that acupuncture has been suggested as a legitimate option by a number of people.

To be completely honest, I am not sure if acupuncture for weight loss works, and I don't know that I ever will. It seems to me that it would be something that is rather difficult to quantify, because how would one actually measure it? Sure, one could use its success or lack thereof on one person and say that it is proof that it does or does not work, but it could be used on a different person with a completely different and opposite result. I guess the real answer to the question of whether or not it works is that it just depends on the person.


No comments:

Post a Comment